Burlap wreaths are an affordable door decor option for your home. Whether you buy a burlap wreath from your local home decor store or want to use up the end of the burlap you have laying around from gardening - they make great rustic front door wreaths that can be customized for any season, holiday or just everyday use.
Burlap Wreaths 101
What is burlap?
Burlap, also known as hessian or jute fabric, is a coarse, woven textile made from the jute plant. As it's made from plant fibres, it's a sustainable and eco-friendly material made with environmentally friendly practices.
Burlap is a relatively affordable fabric and widely available, making it an excellent choice for crafting and other purposes. Once done with your material, you can dispose of it in recycling or reuse it in your garden, as it's biodegradable.
Why Burlap is Great for Front Door Wreaths?
Burlap is a versatile fabric that's great for indoor and outdoor uses. Often used in gardening, burlap is relatively weather-resistant, breathable, doesn't fade in sunlight, and is highly durable. This means that if you're looking to display your wreath on an outside door, it can easily hold its own against the elements.
Additionally, burlap is affordable, making it easier for you to DIY your own wreaths that you can switch out for every occasion - I mean, how cute would a valentine's wreath be?
If you keep your wreaths simple or commit to deconstructing your wreaths once you're done with them - burlap is eco-friendly and biodegradable, meaning you can repurpose it in your garden or recycle it.
Where to Buy Burlap
If you're interested in making your own burlap wreaths and you don't have any burlap fabric or burlap ribbon on hand, where can you buy it? Luckily, burlap is readily available in a variety of stores and online. You can usually find burlap fabric or burlap ribbon at your local hardware or garden supply store, craft stores, amazon, some fabric stores, and shipping supply stores.
If you purchase produce such as potatoes in burlap bags or get burlap shipping materials from your orders, you can save this and recycle it for use in your craft projects.
Burlap Wreath Ideas
If you're interested in creating your own natural burlap wreaths and you're looking for inspiration - you're in luck. Burlap wreaths are extremely easy to make and customize; just search Pinterest, and you'll be flooded with thousands of styles and themes that you can craft at home. Here are some great burlap wreath ideas for you to try:
- Fall wreath - add ribbons in yellows, reds and oranges or embellishments like fake leaves, acorns.
- Spring wreath - pastel-coloured decor items, fake flowers, DIY burlap flowers, birds.
- Summer wreath - bright, sunny coloured ribbons, artificial sunflowers, bumblebees, plastic strawberries or fruits.
- Winter wreath - red, green, blue or patterned Christmas ribbon, plastic snowflakes, Christmas decorations.
- Christmas wreath - small Christmas decorations, battery-powered fairy lights, Christmas ribbons and bows.
- Easter wreath - pastel ribbons and decorations, plastic Easter eggs, bunny decorations.
- Halloween wreath - black, purple, green and orange ribbons and bows, small Halloween decorations, plastic skeletons, bats or pumpkins.
- St. Patrick's Day wreath - green ribbon, fake four-leaf clovers, rainbows.
- Valentine's Day wreath - pink, red and white ribbons and bows, heart decorations.
- Floral wreath - burlap flowers, fake flowers or dried flowers.
- Monogram wreath - add wooden or plastic letters to create a simple monogram.
- Chevron wreath - use ribbon to create an alternating chevron pattern with your burlap or create your own chevron burlap ribbon with fabric paint before making your wreath.
- Polka dot wreath - create your own polka dot burlap ribbon with fabric paint before putting together your wreath.
Ways to Customize Your Burlap Wreath
If you're looking to make a wreath for your front door or indoor home decor, there are endless ways you can customize it! If you're crafty and have supplies on hand, great! You can really use whatever you have to create a one-of-a-kind burlap wreath for your home.
Need some ideas to get started? Customize your wreath with:
- Fake flowers
- Ribbon or wired ribbon
- Pine cones
- Red burlap (coloured burlap)
- Wooden letters and embellishments
- Fabric paints
- Small holiday or seasonal decor items
How to Make a Burlap Wreath
If you want to learn how to make your own burlap wreath, this is a great DIY to start with. This super simple design will help you get the hang of making your own wreaths. Once you've mastered the general design of the wreath, the sky's the limit when it comes to customizing to suit your tastes, holidays or seasons!
Simple DIY Burlap Wreath Tutorial
You will need:
- 3-4 rolls of Burlap ribbon (or burlap fabric cut into strips about 3 - 4 inches wide).
- 15-inch wire wreath frame (or size of your choosing, you will need more ribbon for larger sizes).
- Hot glue gun
- Floral wire
- Ribbons or other embellishments
- Fold one end of your burlap ribbon into quarters, then attach it to your wire wreath frame using a small piece of floral wire to the inner ring.
- Create a bubble with the burlap by pushing the burlap through the ring of the wreath frame.
- Repeat, creating a bubble of burlap fabric within each adjacent section of the wreath frame, moving outwards towards the outermost ring.
- When you have three bubbles of burlap fabric side-by-side, adjust your bubbles to be as small or large as you want them to be.
- Bunch these three loops together towards the closest vertical section of the wire wreath frame to allow more space for additional bunches in this section.
- Twist the burlap underneath your bunch to secure this bunch.
- Repeat steps 2 - 6 to fill the wreath frame - your goal is for a very full-looking wreath with no obvious open areas.
- To complete your wreath, and whenever you come to the end of a roll of ribbon, repeat step one to secure the end and beginning of a roll.
- Your wreath is complete! You can stop here or choose to customize using a variety of embellishments. Attach them using floral wire or your hot glue gun to ensure they're secure before displaying.
- Optional - If you do not have an over-the-door wreath hanger or other means of hanging your wreath by the frame - loop a piece of wide ribbon around the top of your wreath to create a decorative hanger that you can secure on a nail or over your door.
Natural burlap makes for a great outdoor or indoor wreath for your home. The weather-resistant fabric allows your decor to stand up to most of the elements. The neutral colour makes it easy to customize to your tastes. Looking for your next DIY? Try a simple burlap wreath!